Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Last post from home before I finally leave for Spain in 1 week. Here some basic info!



This will be my last post before I'm actually on my way for real :)
A bit a longer one (sorry) but just to answer some questions I often get.

One question I get a lot from people is : Are you doing this with a tour group?
No, I do the Camino alone. This is not an organized tour. You walk from town to town through amazing scenery and stop wherever you want. However every day I will  meet people on the trail from all over the world and often you end up hanging out with them on/off throughout your hike. So it's safe and there are plenty other women alone on the trail.

Another question : Is the trail marked? Yes .....you just follow yellow arrows. It's as simple as that:) No maps needed. The yellow arrows are along the entire 800 km trail on each corner/intersection.
Camino de Santiago road sign yellow arrow

Where do I sleep?
In private rooms in "Albergues" (simple pilgrim hostels) "Casa Rurales" (Bed and Breakfasts) and a few Hotels. All are very cheap. From 25 Euro's to a few 65 Euro's ones as special  treats ( like after the Pyrenees climb and when I am celebrating my birthday while on the Camino :) ) On average I pay $38 per  night. All are very clean and good. That being said, most Pilgrims sleep in dormitories for 10 Euro's. I am not that brave ........

17
                                                                              The cheapest: 25 Euro's
20




HOTEL AKERRETA: HOTEL RURAL EN NAVARRA
  Most expensive one Hotel Akeretta, (was in the movie "The Way" where Martin Sheen meets the Canadian woman, ps if you have not seen that movie yet....do so...it's pretty good :) ) 65 Euro's

                               Hotel Akerreta, Spain - Booking.com



And as for food......breakfast: a Cafe con Leche and toast or croissant, Lunch: a Bocadilla (bread with ham or cheese or Tuna) or Tortilla and at night: the 10 Euro Pilgrim meals are amazing. An appetizer, entree and dessert and a bottle of wine :) all for 10 Euro's....it's simple food but tasty :)
And lots of ......Tapas !!! I also drink at least 2 liters of water a day and 2 cans of Aquarius (some Spanish sports drink)


What am I bringing:
3 sets of hiking clothes and 2 sets of clothes for the evenings. Sometimes I get lucky when the hostels have a washing machine, otherwise it's hand washing your stuff in the sink :)
4 pairs of shoes which is A LOT. Most people only bring 2 pairs but.....most people end up with blisters . I didn't last year so will do the same routine this year. First 10 miles /16 km in my hiking shoes, then the last 5 miles/8 km in my hiking sandals.(if it's not raining). At night I wear my flip flops . My trail runners I wear now and then just as a switch from my hiking shoes if the terrain is fairly even and flat.
My shoe selection.

The other things that I'm bringing are : Some rain gear, I pod, Kindle, toiletries, sunglasses, knee braces (which help a lot with the up and downhills),water bladder and my ....hiking poles.
All of this carried by me in my beloved backpack :)

The first day of walking will be the hardest, I think! ......crossing the Pyrenees on the Route de Napoleon. It's a 15 mile/24 km day but the first 10 miles/16 km are all steep uphills ( I'm ascending about 4300 feet).........then the last 5 miles/8 km is steep down hill....but I'll make it somehow. There is a small chance that the weather is too bad/dangerous and if so, they will close the mountain route. In the winter the Napoleon is closed due to snow. In the summer they will close it if there is too much fog and/or rain (slippery paths).  If so, I will have to take the lower "Valcarlos Route" with less amazing views. So fingers crossed the weather will be good. At the end of this long day there will be the very nice Hotel Roncesvalles, (which is in a converted Monastery) waiting for me to relax  and get some great food :)

Thank you all for following me the next 3 weeks. My next post will be June 10th and "LIVE from the Camino "  :) 

this will be my 'walking day 1'

Hotel Roncesvalles  . For my friends in Europe...visit  when you travel to Spain...these are amazing places off the beaten path.

                                      Hotel Roncesvalles, Spain - Booking.com 

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if any of the dumber pilgrims climb the tree with the arrow pointing up.

    ReplyDelete